Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chapter 2 is up

Chapter 2 of Murder Under the Bridge is online. In Chapter 2, Abu Anwar makes a startling discovery (you might be able to guess...) while going to his olive groves.

It's short, but there are some new photos to enhance the reading experience.

I'm really enjoying having everyone read my book. I wish I had done this months ago! I thought that self-publishing online wouldn't be as satisfying as having a "real" publisher publish a "real" book, but I have to say that so far, it's an absolute blast. It just makes me so happy to hear people saying, "I can't wait for the next chapter," "give me more," and telling me what they're thinking about the characters and the place. And I think that the serial format is really going to work for building the suspense and also creating a community around the novel, which is one of my goals.

I think some people are the type of writers who can't be happy putting out writing that is not the absolute best that it can be. Like my friend Steve, whose discipline I admire so much. For those writers, writing is as much about self-discovery and learning the craft as it is about creating something. Pure writers, I guess you would call them. I'm not like that. For me, writing is communicating. I can't be interested in one-way communication. That's why blogging is easy for me, and hard for Steve. Of course I like the thought that people will think my work is "good," but what's most important to me is that it's read. Which is why publishing may or may not be the right venue for me. What's great is that I'm exploring how the blog format can be adaptable as an online fiction journal, and it's surprisingly effective.

I'm also trying to figure out what all these different blogs and websites that I have now are going to be for, what I will put here, what on the Murder Under the Bridge blog, what on the facebook page, and what if anything will be on the website other than the blog. For now, the only thing I know for sure is that this will continue to be my home for random thoughts about everything under the sun, and the MUB blog will only have the book.

Comments always welcome here as well as there.

Read Chapter 2.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment